Monday, January 14, 2013

The Cancun Letters #2


Wednesday Feb 21, 2007

Dear Marissa,

It has been at least 15 years since I was last in Cancun. I haven’t thought about it in a long time. However, now that I know you are there on “early spring break,” I've found myself once again thinking of the place. The emerald and cobalt water lapping gently on the white beach, you reclining in a deck chair gazing across the Gulf of Mexico, not even trying to pretend that you’re interested in that stack of books you brought along to hide your true purpose – finding and exploring the lost- pyramid-of-the-forbidden-because-it’s -enchanted jungle. I knew when you first heard the rumor of the pyramid from the drunk at the Be There Now Tavern, just off campus, that your heart would give you no peace until you found it and walked its ancient passageways.

It never crossed your mind that the old drunk just might have made up the story of the pyramid and the forbidden-because-it’s-enchanted jungle, FEEBI as it’s known to the natives. See, I've been doing some research myself and not by talking to the old drunk, at least not exclusively by talking to him.

Anyway, I hope you’re doing well, and I hope you find the pyramid, and I hope you remember to write and tell me about it.

Love, Jake